Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to adopt an animal! What do I need to do before I come to the shelter?

We’re so glad you’re interested in taking one of our animals home! Due to COVID-19, adoptions are by appointment only at this time. Please see our current list of available animals and fill out an adoption application to begin. Once reviewed and approved, our staff will contact you to arrange a time to meet.

If you plan to adopt a cat, you should bring a carrier with you. If you do not have a carrier, we can send your furry friend home in one of our cardboard carriers for $5.50.

If you are adopting a dog, you should bring a collar and leash with you.

Are you still taking donations?

Yes! We have a Wish List of items we use every day that we would love to receive as a donation. During COVID-19, please leave them by the garage door when you drop them off. If you would like a receipt, give us a call and one of our staff will bring one out to you or send it through the mail.

Will do accept blankets and towels. No pillows, please.

Please do not donate open containers of pet food. For health reasons, we cannot feed it to our animals.

How do I get ahold of Animal Control?

Animal Control responds to animal emergencies and can be reached via 911.

For animal-related non-emergencies, Animal Control may be reached Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm via 410-708-5006 or

Please note: Animal Control only handles domesticated animals, such as dogs, cats, and livestock. If you have a concern about wildlife, you can contact the Dept. of Natural Resources at 877-463-6497 or a Pest Control/Wildlife Management Service like Critter Gitter (410-708-1228) or Chestertown Wildlife Control (410-778-3315).

Do you sell Kent County Maryland dog licenses?

We provide licenses for the dogs picked up by Animal Control and are adopted by Kent County residents. If you adopted/bought your dog from a different shelter/breeder, you can obtain a license from the Kent County Office of Finance.

They are $5 for spayed/neutered dogs and $10 for unaltered. Licenses need to be renewed each year, starting July 1st and expiring June 30th.

Do you still offer the Synder Grant coupons for spay and neuter?

Unfortunately, those coupons are no longer available. The foundation that provided us the grant for the spay/neuter has since closed. We are very thankful for the years of service they were able to provide us with, and hope we will be able to offer a similar discount to our community in the future.

To alter your pet, we recommend any one of our veterinarian partners.

Can I bring my pet to you for shots/vaccines?

We do not offer vaccines or shots of any kind to the public. If you would like to ensure your pet is up-to-date on their shots, we recommend any one of our veterinarian partners. Vaccine clinics are also available at Tractor Supply (Chestertown and Middletown locations) and Petco (Middletown).

I need to euthanize / cremate my pet.

We are so sorry for your loss. While we no longer offer private euthanizations, any one of our veterinarian partners will be able to help.

We also no longer offer cremation services, but can refer you to Fellows, Helfenbein, & Newnam Funeral Home in Chestertown (410-778-0055)